Sticky situation PT III

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been working on my gimbal bearing for the past few weeks. For an idea of what's going on you can go here and here.

Today after a lot of persuasion I was able to get the inner race of the old gimbal bearing out of the housing. From what I can see the housing wasn't damaged any by the failure and breakdown of the old bearing. I am still waiting on a new grease seal to arrive so I won't be getting this put back together any time soon but I still want you guys to take a look and give me as many suggestions on what to do and what not to do so this doesn't happen again.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 0

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Sticky situation PT III

In one of the previous posts someone pointed out the corrosion and missing metal at the bottom of your "lip" where the bellows attaches. I had a transom assembly with that kind of damage - I never could get the bellows to seal right. Ended up buying a used transom assembly. If you continue to get water in there - you will continue to go through bearings, etc.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sticky situation PT III

If you continue to get water in there - you will continue to go through bearings, etc.

When I removed the bellows there wasn't a lot of water in there. I mean just a few drops came out. I know there should be none at all. I plan on attempting to repair that bottom lip. I have looked at his solution and watched the video and think that I will go that route. It costs a bit more than I think it should but if it alleviates the problem and keeps me from removing the engine then it is well worth it. I just checked out in the garage and realized that I didn't have anymore 2-4-C lube in the grease gun tube so I will be ordering that tonight.

If I can get it all back together by the 4th then I will be happy.