9.9 honda over heating

cam1

Recruit
Hi all,

New to boating and boat motors. I have a 9.9 honda and started to heat up and my alarm came on. I notice there was know water coming out of the hole. I then checked for any obstructions and actually was blowing water from the hole down to where it comes in at, so I think I eliminated anything in the line from point A to B. I'm leaning towards a water pump or thermostat. Do these motors have thermostats? Is the water pump in the lower unit? Maybe something else to do and none of the above.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 9.9 honda over heating

Likely time for water pump/impeller service.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 9.9 honda over heating

God bless you that you have the remote version of this engine with the alarm feature.The water pumps on these 9.9ds can be very delicate so inspection is certainly in order.Easy job.Shift the unit to reverse, release and unscrew the the shift shaft,remove the five bolts retaining the gearcase,a few light taps on the tailstock with a soft hammer and the gearcase will be down for inspection of that waterpump.If you see that impeller shredded,look carefully at the housing as that may, as well ,be melted down.