install lower unit.

dsmguy

Cadet
so stupid me make fun. i removed the lower unit and replaced the impeller but i for some stupid reason turned the shift shaft that sticks out of the lower unit. no i cant get it to install right in the correct gear. i know there must be a post of how to do this. but i cant find it. I have a 1961 merc 500 kihafiefer. any quick help would be awesome cuz i have plans to take it out sun. and mon.

emckelvy

Commander
Re: install lower unit.

Turn the driveshaft clockwise (same direction the motor turns as viewed from the top) and figure out what gear you're in.

If it's in fwd gear (most likely), the propshaft will be rotating clockwise as viewed from behind the boat.

Turn the shift shaft CCW until you feel slight resistance then there should be a 'notch' that you feel, this should be neutral. The propshaft will move freely in both directions. Note that the shift shaft can move around a bunch when in forward, but there is only one correct position for it to be in, for correct shifting.

If the L/U is already in neutral, leave it there.

If it's in reverse (propshaft rotating CCW), turn the shift shaft clockwise one 'notch' to get to neutral.

I'm assuming your motor has the outside lever connection for shift/throttle cables. Disconnect the shift cable and move the shift lever on the motor to about mid-center of its travel.

Then reinstall the lower unit, still in neutral, with the shift lever centered. You may have to move the lever just a bit one way or the other to get the upper shift rod lined up with the shift shaft.

You'll also need to move the flywheel a bit in the clockwise direction to get crankshaft and driveshaft engaged.

Last tip, while you're inserting the lower unit, shine a flashlight in the gap between gearcase & exhaust tower and make sure the copper water pump tube is engaging the water pump's rubber sealing grommet. Otherwise you'll get no water pumping.

Hopefully that gets you going and the weather's decent tomorrow. We've been praying for more sun all week, the grass is getting way too tall and it's too wet to mow. Plus it would be nice to get out on the lake!

HTH.........ed

dsmguy

Cadet

you are a saint thanks for the advice. it worked out awesome. this is my first motor boat. so its been a lot of trial and error. but i guess you cant learn if you don't do stuff wrong and live to learn from it. lol. thanks again. I'm going out tomorrow and ill see how my boat works for the first time. :)

fharris

Recruit

Hi, I have replace the water pump on a 1973 Murcery 500 50 hp.
I have moved the shifter...I know I should have not done this. However, here I am.
When I install the lower unit, I can not get it to shift out of forward.
I adjusted the cables and put the LU back on and it shifted great. But the lock cam in the wrong position and had to drop the LU. After I correct the locking cam..put the LU back up. It would not shift out of forward.
Dropped the LU and moved the shaft...I now have LU locked in reverse.

I am going to try to move the shaft as noted,,,anyone has any ideas??

dsmguy

Cadet

Turn the driveshaft clockwise (same direction the motor turns as viewed from the top) and figure out what gear you're in.

If it's in fwd gear (most likely), the propshaft will be rotating clockwise as viewed from behind the boat.

Turn the shift shaft CCW until you feel slight resistance then there should be a 'notch' that you feel, this should be neutral. The propshaft will move freely in both directions. Note that the shift shaft can move around a bunch when in forward, but there is only one correct position for it to be in, for correct shifting.

If the L/U is already in neutral, leave it there.

If it's in reverse (propshaft rotating CCW), turn the shift shaft clockwise one 'notch' to get to neutral.

I'm assuming your motor has the outside lever connection for shift/throttle cables. Disconnect the shift cable and move the shift lever on the motor to about mid-center of its travel.

Then reinstall the lower unit, still in neutral, with the shift lever centered. You may have to move the lever just a bit one way or the other to get the upper shift rod lined up with the shift shaft.

You'll also need to move the flywheel a bit in the clockwise direction to get crankshaft and driveshaft engaged.

Last tip, while you're inserting the lower unit, shine a flashlight in the gap between gearcase & exhaust tower and make sure the copper water pump tube is engaging the water pump's rubber sealing grommet. Otherwise you'll get no water pumping.

Hopefully that gets you going and the weather's decent tomorrow. We've been praying for more sun all week, the grass is getting way too tall and it's too wet to mow. Plus it would be nice to get out on the lake!

HTH.........ed

sorry to wait so long. but this worked so great. i took it out and it runs good.