somebody please im fed up

Nelly2004

Cadet
Ok I replaced the starter bc the starter was shot. Hooked everthing up today hoping that eveverything would work just fine and to my knowledge nope. First click of the key made clicking sound turned off the turned it back in acted like it wanted to turn over but quit immediately thought it was the battery charged it up and nothing battery is fine even had it load tested everything was good. So I go to dissconnect the cables in the batteries bc it said it needed to be recharged when I went to take the red cables off they where so hot that I could barely touch them had cables tested and they said they where fine I have no idea where to go now any help would be nice trying to keep it out of the shop but looks like it might be going if I can't figure this out

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: somebody please im fed up

Was the polarity correct? Hot cables= short circuit. GH

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Starter was likely OK. High resistance is why the heat. Either cables are bad or terminations and/or lugs are corroded, or the starter has very high mechanical load due to binding. Check all cable terminations ... make sure all are bright and tight, including all grounds, especially the one to the engine block. And inspect all cables carefully for signs of corrosion, especially if a saltwater motor.

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

Hope it is a bad starter, because if you had the cables reversed, you could have done some heavy duty damage.

Good grammar, spelling and punctuation also help to decipher your question.

Also model no., HP and model no help also.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Is this on a particular motor?

This part is unclear: "...charged it up and nothing battery is fine even had it load tested everything was good. So I go to dissconnect the cables in the batteries bc it said it needed to be recharged "

If it was discharged immediately after charging, then the battery is bad. Or the charger is faulty.

Camo Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Solenoid (Starter relay) is sticking...........prob the problem all along.............replace it.......