115 johnson ouboard cranks but won't start

gooseofdeuce

Cadet
hey, i have a 1974 johnson 115hp mounted on a 17 foot galaxy. I took it out twice this year and it ran like a champ:D. The second time i took it out i met up with my dad who was night fishing, tied up to him and stayed on his boat. After a few hours I left headed back to the ramp, and loaded the boat on the trailer and took her home. The next time i touched the boat i was replaced a bow light assembly prior to taking it out. I got to the ramp and it cranked strong, on new battery, but would not start or even hit:mad:. I pulled to boat out and checked and replaced the plugs, no fire on all four new plugs:eek:. Any idea what it could be:confused:?

gooseofdeuce

Cadet
Re: 115 johnson ouboard cranks but won't start

also, same battery was in it on first two runs. Did not disconnect wires from battery. disconnected bow light from switch on dash.

gooseofdeuce

Cadet
Re: 115 johnson ouboard cranks but won't start

will i need any special tools for these tests? i spoke with a local mechanic that said he had a machine he could hook to it and tell if it is the stator, trigger, or power pack is bad. he also recommends replacing all if i replace one. is this really necessary?