6hp Evenrude water pump question

Leefy

Cadet
Just bought an early lund boat with a 6 hp evinrude motor. Runs but wondering if it is suppose to pump water out above the water line of the engine. It has exhaust coming out of a hole about half way up on the lower unit area but I do not see any water coming out.

D

DJ

Re: 6hp Evenrude water pump question

Moving to Johnson/Evinrude Questions.

D

DJ

Just bought an early lund boat with a 6 hp evinrude motor. Runs but wondering if it is suppose to pump water out above the water line of the engine. It has exhaust coming out of a hole about half way up on the lower unit area but I do not see any water coming out.

Yes, there should be at least spray.

Leefy

Cadet

Is this the hole where the water should be coming out? I have located the model number and the motor is a 1976.

Attachments

• DSCN0064.JPG
    DSCN0064.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 0

jasper60103

Commander

yes, that's correct. Also, make sure the water line is above the water pump, i.e. bulge in the leg. A garbage can works better than the bucket you have there.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

& third.

Attachments

• DSCN0064.JPG
    DSCN0064.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 0

Leefy

Cadet

Thanks for the information. I think the intake had gunk over the 4 small holes. I cleaned then off and ran a hose through them, put back in bucket and I have water coming out now. Again, thanks for the help.

Leefy

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the information. I think the intake had gunk over the 4 small holes. I cleaned then off and ran a hose through them, put back in bucket and I have water coming out now. Again, thanks for the help.

Leefy

That's a secondary water intake. The important one is the one above the propeller.