Winky Blinky - make

MotordePopa

Cadet
Hi Friends

It is possible to make a home "Winky Blinky" to check "error codes" of outboards yamaha?
Let me make one myself ... 12V LED and a resistor ... anyone have a diagram to help?

Thanks
:D

Bitsamonkey

Cadet
Re: Winky Blinky - make

That's a great idea. I'm sick of paying Yamaha's ridiculously inflated prices for everything. No wonder people sell these things as soon as they reach the end of warranty... it doesn't make sense to fix them.

MotordePopa

Cadet

Hello Friends!

There is no one to help?? I'm sure it's possible to do!

psglaspie

Cadet

I also want to know how to make one. If it is actually just wire, adapters, bulb, seems ridiculous to spend $98 for one. If only someone who has one could give us some info, I suspect it is trivial to make.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

We need a volunteer to buy one and try to disassemble it if possible and find out what all is needed.
Anyone want to spend that kind of money to experiment?
Usually once you buy one you do not want to destroy it, just use it.
Maybe some one with one that is broke will try to disassemble it, if they ever break.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I think there is a diagram in the mercury F115 manual.

psglaspie

Cadet

I've seen several mentions of building one, but can't find any specific information. Rodbolt in particular has mentioned it several times, so perhaps he will help us out here. I'm wanting to find out if I could permanently install a LED in my boat dash.

psglaspie

Cadet

Ooops...cross-posted on that Rodbolt...apologies. Is there any way to get access to the "how to" in the F115 manual as I don't have ready (or unready for that matter) access to one? And...is there any reason not to wire it in permanently?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

beats me, I own 3.
but in the mercury F115 service manual of about 2003 I think there was a diagram.
cant remember.
why bother trying to do what your doing?
if something fails your gonna know pretty quick.
very rare is it that it tells me whats wrong but it keeps me from chasing ghosts.

psglaspie

Cadet

As to why bother...
After not running for 6 months, I cleaned all the filters, replaced old gas in tank, drained and refilled the VST a few times, checked all the connectors for corrosion and the engine wouldn't start. No pressure on the rail. Dismantled the VST...high pressure pump was stuck...soaked in Seafoam for a couple of days... and finally got it working again. Cleaned the O2 sensor just for luck. Back together...runs on the hose fine so off to the lake. When on the lake, ran fine for 5 minutes at about 3500 rpm, then died. Immediately would restart and idle fine. Throttle up and it dies. Idled back to dock...back home...cleaned filters again...more gunge. Seafoam soak...Seafoam through the gas lines...cleaned filters. Back to lake...fine for about 15 minutes. Replaced the 3 low P pumps (it was time anyway as they were 10 yrs old). Repeated cleanup and now it appears to be all happy again. During all this I was suspecting one of the sensors had gone south and a winky might have helped rule that out. Turned out just staying with the fuel system cleanup appears to have done the job. But...made me want a winky blinky...yet I'm reluctant to part with $98 if I could easily make one.

Does the diagram in the Merc 115 manual just have a light bulb and connectors or is there more to it than that?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

other than the O2 sensor, any sensor failure is going to result in high idle and top speed may or may not be reached.
all sensor can be tested with a standard multimeter.
if the O2 sensor is unplugged it fixs fuel rich at idle and lean above 4000.
however O2 sensor output voltage is not monitored by the diagnostics and has no codes.
in the 4 stroke case you can run it with a winky installed, in a 2 stroke automatic oil transfer is prohibited with the winky installed.so every 15 minutes or so you will have to stop and manually transfer oil.
see why I say, why bother.

psglaspie

Cadet

Oil transfer would be inhibited with the commercial winky, but I'd hoped to be able to avoid that particular problem by not using the commercial harness but rather by direct wiring with and LED. As you say, likely not worth the bother. Some years back, I had an issue with the anti-knock sensor...and also with the O2 sensor, so I'm pretty familiar with their problem symptoms. Now that you've brought it to mind, you can indeed get tests of all the sensors with a DVM (although the O2 sensor bench test is a bit questionable in my opinion). So...now that you've made me think it through, permanent doesn't have an attraction. I'd still like to contruct an external, however. Still looks to me like a bulb or LED, a resistor (maybe), and plugs which is pretty pricey at $98.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dude.
on a two stroke HPDI or OX66 you simply cant run both a winky blinky and the automatic oil transfer.
they use the same ECU ground path wires.
thats why both are blue.
OX66 doesnt store codes ands depending on the HPDI it wont store codes retrivable later on the winky blinky and NO NO NO CODES EVER for O2 sensor.
no knock sensor on HPDI.
not all OX66 use a knock sensor.
the OX66 that did the code will only appear if its active.
throttle back and its not active you revert to code 1.
its a nice tool, its not an engine monitor.

psglaspie

Cadet

"on a two stroke HPDI or OX66 you simply cant run both a winky blinky and the automatic oil transfer.
they use the same ECU ground path wires.
thats why both are blue."

[Without seeing the diagram of a winky, there wasn't a way for me to tell that. That's the answer I had been seeking but couldn't tell without that particular bit of info...thanks.]

"OX66 doesnt store codes ands depending on the HPDI it wont store codes retrivable later on the winky blinky and NO NO NO CODES EVER for O2 sensor.
no knock sensor on HPDI."

[Yes, clear there are no codes for the O2 sensor. And this is EFI not HDPI...not sure where that came from. Yes, I've always been clear there is no code storage which led to my original wish for a perm installation so that I could actually see codes at speed and on the water. Sounds like that isn't going to be possible.]

"not all OX66 use a knock sensor."

[Didn't know that...mine has one.]

"the OX66 that did the code will only appear if its active.
throttle back and its not active you revert to code 1."

[same comments as above...desire to see codes at speed when code is active was original desire for winky]

"its a nice tool, its not an engine monitor."

[I'm clear on that although I still believe it would be useful. Guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on that point.]

[And finally...thanks for your responses. You add a depth of knowledge to this forum that is very important to those of us less knowledgeable and you are very much appreciated.]

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dude.
do the maint and you wont need a winky.
then simply enjoy the boat.
simple as that.