Oil Leaking 1959 5.5 Lower End

This is the Frankenstein motor I bought. I had it out 3 times already runs great. When I put my plate on my trailer the other day I see oil leaking from a small hole in the flat surface above the prop. There was no oil leak before. Coffee colored lower end oil I think. Is there supposed to be a hole there? I didn't see it there before. The pic is not my motor but the arrow shows where the leak /hole is located. I am going to drain the lower end oil tomorrow, if the hole is just a pinhole the wore through with corrosion I am going to JB Weld it closed , clean and re-fill my lower end but don't want to close up a hole thats supposed to be there obviously. Frank helped me before with this motor, the knows the one. Aso need to know what oil goes in lower end on this antique.

Azog

Attachments

• lowerend2.jpg
    lowerend2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil Leaking 1959 5.5 Lower End

The hole is a factory-made drain hole. Don't plug it.

Don't freak out, it may be normal drainage. OR--it could be a leaking shift rod seal. Check your lower unit oil and if it is OK, sleep tight and don't worry about it.

"Normal drainage" is the oil that you put in the gas and has gone through the engine.

EDIT: Lower unit takes 80-90 outboard gear oil.

Not oil from exhaust. Like I said i will plug it up if no hole is supposed to be there. With my fishing spots get ruined by oil the spill (Not mine, BP's) I don't want to put more money into this small motor. Can i get away with just changing my oil before I go out each trip?

Thanks, Azog

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Don't plug the hole - it needs to be there to drain water from the housing cavity. The oil you're seeing may be coming out that hole, but it is not coming FROM that hole. As F_R noted, if it is lower unit oil, it is likely coming from the shift rod seal. Checking and changing the oil regularly can help...