Skeet shooting offshore

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pretty much that, if i could get my hands on a trap launcher (bass pro), and devise a way to mount it to the boat (couple sand bags on the foredeck, bolted to a solid pulpit, whatever), or even get the el cheapo plastic hand launcher, could I legally shoot?

I am in a US flagged boat, presumably in US waters, although I can make it to international as well. I believe that it is legal for me to carry guns on the boat, actually, I would bet on it. I know trash discharge laws, which say I can dump metal as long as I am more than 3 miles offshore, and the metal is less than 1 inch in diameter, which pellets are. The clays can be, for the sake of argument, biodegradable, lets say white flyer.

This would not be a regular activity, but when passage making in a boat that only goes 6 knots, activities can be nice. So lets hear it, do you think it would be legal. Also just for clarification, this would be offshore, so I will not be across the lake from you, or right off the beach, were talking 360 degrees of water, no land, or other people/boats in sight.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Skeet shooting offshore

It wouldn?t matter to me if you were across the lake from me, many times I?ve pulled my hood over my head when I hear shots from over yonder, as a rain of pellets come down on me.

I?m no lawyer but I am sure some bleeding heart salt water lover would cry out loud about it.

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Considering it would be in the gulf I think we have bigger problems than this, but really, that was a fast response. Really fast response. Guns and boats, guaranteed fast response i guess.

Doug N.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cruise ships offer shooting clays off the stern, but that might be in international water. It was too expensive for my to do. I could barely afford the free sun tan at the time.

aspeck

Staff member

I don't think it would be much of a problem, but you would want to use steel shot ... the lead pellets would get ingested by the fish and then move on up the food chain ... not a great idea.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Just don't hit a drilling rig!! :eek:

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cruise ships offer shooting clays off the stern, but that might be in international water. It was too expensive for my to do. I could barely afford the free sun tan at the time.

Many moons ago I worked on a cruise ship and skeet shooting was done off the stern as we travelled the "Inside Passage" from Vancouver B.C. to Skagway AK.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

We used to shoot skeet off the flight deck of the USS Shangri La. Also stopped in the middle of the Atlantic for swim call.

D

DJ

IMO-Technically, anywhere it is legal to hunt waterfowl, it would be legal to shoot clays. Also, technically, you would need a waterfowl license and appropriate stamps. "International waters"-I see no issues.

Agree on the steel or bismuth shot.

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So here's what I'm thinking, biodegradable clays, hit with steel or whatever is currently in vogue for nontoxic pellets (seems to be ever changing) packed over fiber wads. Gamebore I believe makes a few kinds that would be acceptable. That would seem to allow me to skate by all legal issues.

I am trying to be as responsible as possible about this activity, I have more than a few friends that are self described "tree hugging dirt loving hippies", so it's not just the legality, I know I could probably get away with shooting conventional clays with traditional shells, but if I go about this, I want to do it right.

Any more opinions, I understand that this would probably make me louder than the jerk on a ski boat blaring kid rock (no offense:p), but by the same token this is an open water activity-no other boats for miles

Who wants to go shooting and sailing on the same trip-any volunteers?

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

sounds like fun to me...too bad I am in Pa. ,...not sure I could get away with it on the Delaware River...lol

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Perfectly Legal in Mayland. In fact, a lot of charter boats offer Blast and Cast Charters in the fall. Fish in the morning, Blast away after you catch your limit.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is no reg I'm aware of that regulates firing weapons in federal water (> 3 miles) as long as you do not endanger others, use whatever shot you wish as long as it is not waterfowl season (lest you be accused of 'hunting' which is where the non-toxic shot comes into play). Not sure about how clay pigeons are viewed with regards to littering or dumping dumping ... ;)

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

sounds like a great time. I like shooting skeet, we have our own thrower setup too. As far as i can remember people have been shooting in open waters with no one around. And, shotgun blasts are not long range at all. if i was closer i would be goin with ya:D

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

I will not be across the lake from you, or right off the beach, were talking 360 degrees of water, no land, or other people/boats in sight.

white clays,biodegradeable wadding, steel shoot all good ideas the best clay thrower i have found is the "Trius One Step" check it out you'll like it. verry easy to opperate and only about 20 bucks more than one that you have to fight spring tension to set.

also, the only thing I would be concerned with are laws on stowage and transport of firearms. I am guessing, but I would call local CG and local PD(if they have a water patrol), wouldn't want to see you get a spot inspection and have your weapons not secured to their satisfactory and wind up getting them confiscated or your boat towed in.
DNR would be able to tell if white clays and steel shot are necessary, but they are a responsible choice.

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The storing point is a valid concern i had overlooked-not that the big slow sloop gets stopped much, but I suppose I would stow them as I do in the car. Although I could easily vouch for the boat being my house. Also, a very nice launcher-might have to pick that up instead of drawing straws for the hand tosser.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

The storing point is a valid concern i had overlooked-not that the big slow sloop gets stopped much, but I suppose I would stow them as I do in the car. Although I could easily vouch for the boat being my house. Also, a very nice launcher-might have to pick that up instead of drawing straws for the hand tosser.

+1 on the Trius, I dont have the step one but i think mine is the birdshooter model. Works great, ive had it for about 10 years now and the launching pitch is adjustable as is the spring tension too.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

+1 on the Trius, I dont have the step one but i think mine is the birdshooter model. Works great, ive had it for about 10 years now and the launching pitch is adjustable as is the spring tension too.

The one step does all that and you can set the throwing arm with one finger:). I have had mine for 6 years and never a problem.