more help need 95 Evinrude 150

blatt70

Cadet
Been having some spark issues. I have gone througth the kill wire and found a loose wire on the back of the key switch and took care of it. the first time I was told to unplug the kill wire from the power pack and that worked for a couple of days it lost spark again and I did the same thing but it did not work at first but after some fustration it started. :confused: could this be a power pack problem or could my start switch be going bad and where do I find a six wire switch the one I have is a omc switch. any point in any way would be great

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: more help need 95 Evinrude 150

key switches are available in any boat store, or online boat part supplier.
You need to check your wiring and test your kill switch. power pack is possible problem so is stator and regulator/rectifier..You should see if all spark is being lost or just certain cylinders..also your battery must be fully charged and motor must reach 300 RPM before spark starts..you can remove plugs and check spark for faster turnover..if this fixes your spark then check battery/wiring and all connections or your solinoid or starter.

blatt70

Cadet
Can you test rectifier regulator

Can you test rectifier regulator

is there a way to test your rectifier regulator also can you test the stator ? I have a 1995 150 intruder

SparkieBoat

Captain

I have that exact same motor...CDI electronics has a great troubleshooting guide in their support section also look up you specific part there and download their install sheet, it has specific test for each part. You will need a spark gap tester, DVA adapter and a multi meter if you do not already have one. You can completely trouble shoot your electronics with these items, you will also need a timing light to check timing, although that is probably not your problem, it never hurts to check it, I check my timing by letting someone drive my boat at WOT and I hang on tight and shoot the light. also link and sync needs to be done..search forums for more info on that.
Once you get the spark gap tester see if all spark is gone or just some cylinders are down. this will help a lot

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

To test the regulated rectifier, go to the following link, select J/E, then 1991 to 1991, scroll to your model, click on the rectifier listed and print the install sheet pdf. Follow the troubleshooting steps: http://cdielectronics.com/AppGuide.aspx

blatt70

Cadet

I have all but the spark gap tester will start on tomarrow