bravo 3 noisy??? gear type noise?? help

Hey folks,

I have a 4 year old splendor with a bravo three stern drive, that makes a gear type noise eminating from the outdrive? any ideas??? performance is fine, oil levels fine, always perfectly serviced.

I just don't want the thing to blow up on me.

any help much appreciated

Thanks all

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: bravo 3 noisy??? gear type noise?? help

Bravo 3s do make quite a bit of mechanical noise in general. The noise might be normal. Is it something that happened suddenly?

U-joints and gimbal bearing would be the first things to look at. One way to know for sure the U-joints are worn is if the noise changes a lot with different trim and steering angles. If it gets louder with the wheel turned hard over, the U-joints are likely to blame. If the noise stays the same or barely changes with different drive angles, pull the drive, and reach in and turn the gimbal bearing by hand. It should not be rusty and should turn smoothly.

One thing to note, U-joints that feel fine and tight to the human hand can still make a lot of noise.

Re: bravo 3 noisy??? gear type noise?? help

thanks for the info ... I'll test it once the rain clears. I can tell you this, based on my last trip out, it only seems to get noisy after some high speed runs.