Gear or shifting problem maybe? 1960 rds 22

Rubixone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so here's the deal. I can put around on the lake in low or slow/low throttle. But when I give it gas it just revs high and I don't go any where. I know it's bad to rev high with no load so I didn't. I can also say it was working just fine till about half way through the day yesterday. My dad said try changing lower unit oil. Any input would be great. Thanks all.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gear or shifting problem maybe? 1960 rds 22

You have a "spun prop"---a slipping propeller hub. Replace the prop or have it re-hubbed and it will be fine.

Attachments

• Prop Cutaway.jpg
    Prop Cutaway.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0

Rubixone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you FR I will look into that. I needed a good place to start.

waynehol

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep classic symptoms of a spun prop. Good luck!

Nasbinator

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought a new prop for this same motor cause I had same problem. A new one will run about $100, and to rehub is about 50. My old prop was in terrible shape so I bought new.

Rubixone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thatnks every one. This is one of the best web sites ever.

Rubixone

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so I guess my next question is this all it could be? I say that cause the prop and the hub seem solid as hell how ever I have not had any time to score the two of them to see if there is a slipping diffrence. but I tried to spin the prop from the hub by hand and there was no give. Is this only expierenced at high RPM's and there for I could not mimic it by hand, or could it be like the lower unit. If I by a new prop and thats not it what it is then what would some one suggest next. cause if say it could be the lower unit well then I'll just buy a used moter that dont run with a good lower unit for 100 bucks and have parts instead of spending a 100 on a new prop.