1989 20ft Wellcraft CC with twin motors

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone installed a bracket on one of these boats or one this size and used X2 150's? What I am getting at is, can the boat handle this and ofcourse any sterdying up needed would be done and the motors would be the earlier models 1994-1997 Johnson 150 Oceanrunners.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Re: 1989 20ft Wellcraft CC with twin motors

There rated for 225 Hp lots of old inboard have been converted to O/B's with gil brackets over at www.wellcraftv20.com there are bunch of V-20 owners with them and threads loaded with pictures of the installation.......

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yea check out the v20 website that Blu mentioned...lots of information on bracket installation....I think you will find though that the general consensus will be that two 150's will be way too much weight to be on a bracket.. I have seen (pics only) a V20 with twin 115's but they were transom mounted.

jwellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should have mentioned that my boat isn't a v20 and currently has a bracket but just a single motor bracket and it's one of those big c-drive brackets that the 300's use that can lift the motor into the back of the boat just about but the hyrdraulics for that has been disconnected. I would remove that and get a custom bracket made that would hold to 2 150's. I know the size of that bracket with the big arm/ram inside that it currently has is alot of weight (not as much as an outboard motor) but I am sure my boat could handle 2 150's.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

Still think its too much weight, when I say too much its not that its going to sink but the stern is going to be sitting significantly lower than it used to....The Sea-Drive as you stated lifts the whole engine almost into the back of the boat so the set back off the transom is not so bad.....a standard outboard on a bracket does not tilt up like that and will need a lot more set back to be able to tilt it out of the water without hitting the transom....with 2 engines set back like that I believe you will have a problem. And again when I say problem its not that the boat will sink but you may find your floor drain through hulls are now under water and when you come off plane in a hurry you might find your outboards completely submerged.

That said ....go for it and take pics!