Crap! Transom rot...

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I was re-doing some electrical on the new-to-me Campion 17.5' Alert (1981) I just got and was cleaning up and decided to have a look at the transom from the inside. It's all very clean and dry but I noticed some thin fiberglass separating from the wood on the inside. I pulled the flaking fg asided and wet, black wood was there. Pushed a screwdriver into it and soft as mush and very moist. Most of the transom is good and solid but this surrounds the lower port side mounting bolt for the motor. 90hp Johnson. I've read most all the threads on transom repair and rebuilding but I don't really wnat to get into this much of a project at this point. It seems the best bet if I did would be to take the top of the boat off but I don't have a hoist or huge garage (just a standard one). I read about CPES epoxy repairs on another site where the person drilled 1/2 inch holes every 6 inches, blew hot air in over a period of time to dry it out then used CPES epoxy to fill in the holes and soak into the wood. Anyone tried this? Worth it? Or should I just suck it up and get the grinder out? Any idea on how hard it is to take off the cap?
tia...
M.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Crap! Transom rot...

Well a couple things. 99% of the time if the transom is rotted, then the deck and stringers are as well. I would take some core samples of the deck to determine their condition.

Taking the cap off. You should have a rub rail that is probably riveted on to the boat. Remove the rubber from the rail. Drill out the rivets and pull the cap off. Be careful to save the rub rail, cause the new stuff is EXPENSIVE!

Once you get the cap off, bust out the grinder and go to town.

It should not take more than a weekend to replace the transom. However if the deck and stingers are gone, than it is a lot more work.

Hope this is helpful.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

If you like it and plan on keeping it, I vote suck it up and do it right, better safe than sorry. The bandaid jobs never last as one would hope, though I have no experience with the CPES. Removing the cap is easy, tedious with all the rivets, screws and possible glass tabs, but after they're removed, a couple of guy's{4 preferred} can usually lift it off...I removed mine{Imperial 17' bowrider} with three guys{including myself and two neighbor ladies...easy peasy, probably could of done it with just the gals & me. Sure someone with more knowledge will offer their thoughts on the epoxy fix.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I have replaced my transom, stringer and deck by only sliding my cap forward to allow the space I need to work since I don't have proper storage. When I'm done, I slide it back and don't have to worry too much about distorting the hull too much. I don't know your model or make of boat but that could be an option.

I agree with the above advice. If you're going to do it, do it right and replace the transom completely.

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys for the fast replies! The campion 180 alert (my boat) includes the splash well on the top cap part so it may be heavy but sliding it forward may be a viable option. The back of the stringers near the transom are rotted completely. I just went out to investigate more. The last 18" are mush. The deck floor is actually almost new, recently redone before selling to newbie me so I'd resuse that.
Biggest hurdle will be getting that motor off, I'm not set up for that. Guess I'll start gettin' my list together...