1989 johnson gt 150 vro fuel delivery problem

1989 john gt 150
the problem im having is it after pumping the bulb then starting motor will run for 1 to 2 mins then act like its running out of fuel i can pump the bulb and it will continue to run but when you dont it will die i have fresh fuel ,new fuel filter ,all new hoses ,carbs are clean and new primer bulb any ideas or suggestions on what to ck next thanks Barry

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1989 johnson gt 150 vro fuel delivery problem

2 words.

fuel....pump.:)

SparkieBoat

Captain

LOL Jones...also make sure your oil injection line is sealed if you have bypassed the oil injection and premix. But yea defiantly sounds like a fuel pump..wish I could fit a yamaha fuel pump in mine, they never seem to go bad..OMC VRO fuel pumps are crap in my opinion, had to replace it on every OMC motor I have ever owned, and every friends motor I have ever worked on, just should not be that high rate of failure. And they Ain't Cheap. the rebuild kit is over $100 and the pump is over $300..thats just stupid for a $20 worth of gaskets or a $50 part...well now I have vented I feel better.:mad:

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I hear you Sparky.
Just replaced a OMS pump on a 95 130hp Evinrude doing exactly what bassmaster describes. The only difference is that they are $500 in my neck of the woods!!

LOL Jones...also make sure your oil injection line is sealed if you have bypassed the oil injection and premix. But yea defiantly sounds like a fuel pump..wish I could fit a yamaha fuel pump in mine, they never seem to go bad..OMC VRO fuel pumps are crap in my opinion, had to replace it on every OMC motor I have ever owned, and every friends motor I have ever worked on, just should not be that high rate of failure. And they Ain't Cheap. the rebuild kit is over $100 and the pump is over $300..thats just stupid for a $20 worth of gaskets or a $50 part...well now I have vented I feel better.:mad:

how well are the rebuild kits or is it better to get a new pump?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You have another option. Bombardier also makes a replacement pump which does not have the oil mixing side. That pump looks like the current one you have, but you will have to premix all your fuel. That pump usually saves about $100 compared to the price of a normal factory mixing pump.

SparkieBoat

Captain

the kit will rebuild only the fuel side of your pump..the oil side is not rebuild able.
it should work fine, if you have already bypassed the oil injection and premix your fuel. double check that the oil inlet to pump is not sucking air. here is link for rebuild kit, the just went up another $35 on them..wow... http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html
google the pump number for replacement pump prices. there is a vro style pump that does not have the oil side available for premix applications but I think it is over $300 now also. here is the non vro type
http://www.dixiemarinesales.com/detail.aspx?ID=2

what is the best way to ck the oil inlet for a leak thanks Barry

SparkieBoat

Captain

just make sure it is properly plugged, a short piece of fuel line with a plug in it and clamped on both sides. sometimes old lines dry rot and crack or plugs get loose.