3.0 possible cracked block

tmryan

Cadet
I think I have a major problem. My l988 3.0 started getting water in the number one cylinder and oil. Had the head tested, as well as the manifold and elbow. All were done by a professional shop. Head gasket showed no water tracks. Replaced all gaskets as put back together. Still water in number one. <br /><br />Question--any way to test for a cracked block?<br /><br />Just how big of a job is it to replace one of these motors. I can borrow the tools (hoist/stand) etc. The clymer book makes it sound simple (perhaps too simple) Would appreciate any advice.<br /><br />Ps the boat is a l988 bayline capri with about 600 hours on it used in salt water. Is this beast worth the effort or am I putting more money in the hole.<br /><br />Thanks, Tom

flashback

Captain
Re: 3.0 possible cracked block

Swapping an engine out is relatively simple on most boats, although i once helped a frend change out a small diesel in a sailboat which you could'nt pay me to do it again, we had to cut the floor out of the cockpit to get to it. but on the average runabout, if your fairly good with tools and such, you could have the old one out and the new one in, in about an hour if you have everything on hand to do the job........good luck