Need beginners help with my boat

YankeeDiver

Cadet
I just bought my first boat. Its a 1995 MAXUM 17 bow rider. It is in great shape and it did not come with any documentation. manual, etc. I am flying blind. My question is really dumb. How do I start my boat? It has a 3.0 Mercury I/O. I tried searching the net for hours trying to find user manuals with no success. What I would like to know is how to use the throttle. It is a quicksilver 3000. I took a picture of it and made some comments. There is a button located on the throttle itself. I can press it in but it does not seem to do anything. I know you need to lift the red throttle release to move it forward and backward to engage the trans. It also has a kill switch. Do I need to have the safety switch inserted for the boat to start? The boat wants to start but its seems like its not getting any gas. Please help.

Attachments

• P5270051.jpg
    P5270051.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Need beginners help with my boat

The button at the bottom of the lever is to put the boat in neutral so that you can choke it when starting or just rev the motor without the prop spinning.

1st off - don't start it on dry land unless you have muffs on it to supply water to the motor.

Normal(ish) starting procedure for a carburated 3.0L is to push neutral button and then give the throttle a couple pumps forward and then leave the lever a little forward of center while starting. Then just use the lever as you would use the gas pedal in an old carb'd car when starting. Don't push it all the way forward when starting because you stand a good chance of flooding it.

Might be worthwhile to find someone who has owned a boat to show you the ropes, starting it is only the start of the challenges ;)

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I only have experience with my Volvo, so I don't know if this applies since I do know there is sometimes a difference between starting a Merc and a Volvo, but your throttle looks pretty similar.

On mine, hold that button in keeps your boat in neutral regardless of the throttle position. Hold that button down and pull the "trigger" and pump it full forward and back to the center twice quickly. This primes the engine (assuming yours is carbureted as well). This is why yours probably won't start, it needs to be primed. With it in neutral, push it forward just a little to help get it started. Turn the ignition to start and if it catches make sure to bring your rpms just above stalling (should be around 600 to 800rpms).

Make sure you are not trying to start your boat without a water supply! Doing so will burn out your impeller. If you were trying to dry start your boat, you saved yourself some money since you weren't successful! Make sure you're running it on the muffs.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

The red switch must be in the run position. There is a lanyard that you can connect to the switch and the other end to yourself incase you fell out of the helm. This is not required to start the engine though. The lanyard is for sfafety and would pull the switch to off and kill the engine. Yes the button in the center of the arm is the neutral switch, meaning the drive is not in gear but you could rev the engione without spinning the prop. Once you raise the throttle lever up to the top again, it'll pop out. Make sure you have muffs with water on, switch in the run position, pump the throttle a couple times to set the choke and prime the carb, back the throttle to idle position again and turn the key.

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might want to take a boating course before you get in too deep. Go to USPS.org for a course near you.

YankeeDiver

Cadet

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU ALL!!! This was exactly what I was lookin fer. I knew that button had to do with starting the boat. I did have the muffs on when attempting to start it before. I did take the standard boating safety course. Unfortunately those classes only teach you about boating safety and not how to actually use your boat. I guess if you buy a new boat they teach you all of this. I will take you suggestion CaptNCamile and find a boat course in my area. I also want to learn navigation. THANKS again.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Merc manuals for your engine, outdrive and commander 3000 are available for download in the engine/outdrive repair section of the forum in the adults only section thanks to moderator Don S. They are also free.

dan4081

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Merc manuals for your engine, outdrive and commander 3000 are available for download in the engine/outdrive repair section of the forum in the adults only section thanks to moderator Don S. They are also free.

Where is the engine/outdrive section in the adults only forum?:confused:
Thanks

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another idea might be to find a good independent boat mechanic that you could pay to spend an hour with you on the boat and both check things out and also show you how to do basic start/stop and user maintenance. I was able to get a lot of instruction from the prior owner of the boat that I just bought, but he also gave me the name of his mechanic and I talked to him on the phone...very nice fellow. He was willing to meet me at the dock and go over some things if needed.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where do you plan to do your boating? I'd like stear clear for while.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

I see you're in jersey, make sure you have a new jersey boating license. The state police don't fool around.:cool: