Dies after 20 Min

goarmy

Recruit
This is my first thread, so if I didn't do it correctly please don't beat me up to bad. I have a 1995 Glasstron SSV 195 with a 4.3 V6 Mercruiser, carbureted, with an electric fuel pump. I recently ran the boat for the first time, after bringing it out of winter storage. It ran perfect for 10 minutes or so, and then it would die. It would immediately start back up run perfect for 5 minutes or so then die again. It repeated this process all the way to the dock.

I took it to the local marina they replaced the fuel water separator, the fuel filter and cleaned the carburetor. I took it out last weekend, it did the same thing. I then took it to the marina there; he replaced the pick-up and rotor. It ran perfectly for 20 minutes or so then did it again.

As you all know, this weekend is Memorial Day weekend. I am supposed to meet some friends this weekend that I have not seen since our tour in Iraq. I am desperate to get my boat right so we can enjoy our weekend. I have been reading the post and am going to attempt to change the oil sender and see what that does. Any other ideas please let me know. I am desperate. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Dies after 20 Min

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Check the gas tank Vent,...
If there was Crap in the filters,+ carb, there may also be Crap in the tank's pickup tube, or anti-siphon valve...

You say it Dies,+ Starts Right back up,..?? How much Cranking to Start,..??
Might be an Electrical Gremlin...

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

I think Bond-o's first thought is a good start. If the fuel tank isn't vented properly, it will starve the pump & carb.

You could undo the threaded filler cap 1 turn, so the O ring doesn't seal, then test run it. Just don't leave it that way indefinitely.

goarmy

Recruit

Thanks, for the welcome. I cleaned the vent filter while changing the other filters. I have also ran it and listen for a vacum when I opened the gas cap, there was none.

It starts right back up, three cranks and fires right up.

Where can I go from here?

Riegfrghtl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just a thought, when the mechanic changed filters did they mention if there was any water in the fuel. If there was, may need to pump tank and add fresh fuel.

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sounds like a fuel issue.

can't hurt to put fuel additive just for extra troubleshoot protection.

Thanks for your service on this Memorial Day weekend from one Army Vet to another...first Gulf War...we wouldn't stay free without you.

Oh yeah...hoorah!!!!!!

One more idea, does it stall while shfting or just running along?

goarmy

Recruit

Gotter fixed, thanks to all of you for your help with this matter. I took it out this weekend after spending all day Saturday fixing it and it ran like a champ. I was able to have a great Memorial Day weekend in honor of those whom have given it all.

So here was the fix for anyone that is having this problem. I did all of the things that was instructed in this forum, but ultimatly it was the oil switch and the oil sender. I went to my local auto parts store and they crossed the part numbers over and ordered them for me. After installing them I ran it on the ears for about an hour, then took it to the river and ran it. It ran perfectly. Monday, we went to the lake and it ran perfectly all day.

Thanks again for all of the help.