Cost of Engine Removal

Mickmeister

Cadet
What is the typical cost of removing an engine? The bearing in our Mercruiser 470 have frozen and the engine now needs a rebuild. What is the typical cost of removing an engine? I am going to do the rebuild myself, but I have no way of pulling it because the boat is higher than most engine hoists can go, so I know I am going to have to get a boat mechanic to pull it. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Cost of Engine Removal

I am going to do the rebuild myself,

Ayuh,... Are ya Sure about that,.... That's a Mighty Peculiar motor....
The Manual is up in the Adults Only section,... Have you read it over,..??

To pull the motor, get it Ready, then call a Wrecker with an Extenda-boom...
Way Cheaper than at a Marina...

45Auto

Commander

If you plan on doing the engine rebuild yourself, you should EASILY be able to get it ready to be pulled in an hour or so.

As Bondo said, get everything unhooked then call a wrecker. Will literally take him 2 minutes to hook to it and pull it out. Probably charge you $50-$75.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Two stout trees. Free, God put them there for ya to enjoy and for hoisting that motor out! Of course, if you don't have chain and a come a long you'd have to buy that stuff. Then again if you don't have that stuff than you probably needed to buy it anyway.

The more important question might be "Should I rebuild this 470?" Post up a new thread and see what sort of answers fly, eh!

Cheers!!

q5ka

Seaman

For about $100 bucks, you can buy a cheap 1 ton electric winch from a place like Harbor Freight (or find a super winch on sale). You can then lag it to a beam or a good tree, pull it yourself, and still have a usable winch for other projects in future.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with the chain hoist and tree or beam, a 470 isnt that heavy of a motor so a tree with a good size branch should handle it fine. Even if you need to buy the stuff to do it you will be cheaper in the long run because you are going to have to call someone again when you reinstall so there is another 50-100 bucks. There are a few people doing 470 rebuilds right now might be worth a look see, tons of useful info about them here.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I rented a large hoist for about $30. I could have put the motor on my roof if I wanted.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

PM or get in touch w/ solar467 he just rebuilt his I believe he would have alot of good insight to share with you on the in's and outs of that engine and from what I could see and read he did a great job! Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

msargius

Seaman

you can rent a material fork lift ... we use it in construction to lift ac pumps over commercial roofs.... and it is quite stable... you can get it from tool rental places (not home depot)

It will lift 650lbs. In my area it rents for $57.00 ...
material_lift_action5.jpg