Waterskiing with back injury?

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was wondering everyones thoughts on skiing with a back injury. I herniated my back in aug '09, Had surgery in Feb'10. Do any of you folks thing I will be able to try to waterski. I am a novice at it, I have always wanted to learn how but noone would teach me. They would offer to teach me then when time come they would not do it, so I was determined to teach myself until this flippin' injury. It was my stupidity that cause the injury. Something I have done routinely foe 15 1/2 years. Then one day pop there it goes I destroyed my lower back. Any how I was just wondering anybodied thoughts on w/skiing after back surgery. Oh ya I also found out I have degenerative disc disease. Any and all thoughts about it are welcome and appreciated. THANK YOU

Yellow Yota

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Waterskiing with back injury?

This is a question for your doctor. Not us!!!

Degenerative disc can be real painful, or not too bad if you take care of it. I have the same condition, but with the correct exercises and minor modifications in how I do some stuff, I'm good to go.

Check with your doctor or chiro. Whoever you're having help you with this.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is a question for your doctor. Not us!!!

Degenerative disc can be real painful, or not too bad if you take care of it. I have the same condition, but with the correct exercises and minor modifications in how I do some stuff, I'm good to go.

Check with your doctor or chiro. Whoever you're having help you with this.

Nerosurgeon won't answer this ? that's why I was asking what y'all about it. The physical therapist to try it if it hurts don't do it.

oldjeep

Admiral

You can't get a qualified answer from random people on the internet. If your medical people say to give it a try, then go for it if you are willing to live with the potential consequences. I'm guessing that they will have a laundry list of possible risks.

My father in-law broke his back many years ago (waterskiing) and still waterskis at a competative level at the age of 65. However, that doesn't directly relate to anyone else and their particular injury.

sparky461

Cadet

I would not do it! I herniated a disc and have had 2 surgeries 07,08 last was a 2 level fusion and still can't do anything 10 lb lifting limit, sit and stand for 20 min at a time. Your back is nothing to mess around with. Is water skiing worth you hurting it worse and suffering the rest of your life? Trust me it sucks! I'm 34, 3 kids and can't do anything. We bought a boat so I could do something with them. I sit/stand and drive.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just had a microdiscecomty in feb'10. I was told I would feel a hole lot better after surgery but I still have pain in the leg from hip down. I wont try skiing now. I just wanted to know if I could or not. I guess I will stick to tubing and let the kids learn to ski. They both can do it on snow ( sorry for the foul language) Thanks for the info. Just saved me a whole lot more pain in the back.

abarron

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How ya doing? Man personly i wouldnot atempt it!!! Ive had 2 surgerys on my back and it aint fun! water sking is all so strenious on your low back!But that's my oppinion,I don't know your age but im 50 and there is noway for me! But you know your limits!

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm 39. My body is saying NO WAY IN $#&&, but my mind says try it. Body is winning the fight. So is the wife(she says no too)

haulnazz15

Captain

If you already knew how to waterski, I'd say try and see if it causes any pain. Since you don't know how to ski, you're liable to end up falling hard a few times which may re-injure you. Another major issue, is that most people have poor form when they finally get up on skis the first few times, which causes all of the force/stress to be located in the back, especially the lower back. A few minutes riding around bent-over while you learn how to maintain control may wreak havok. Those two probable risks are reasons I'd advise against it until you have rehabbed enough to where you don't think you'd have pain by strenuous activity.

My .02.

sparky461

Cadet

Lone my first one was a micro and it didn't get better so I had the fusion 1 year later now I am way worse off. Just be careful with your back, cant get another. Enjoy your time with your family.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

I also had the micro(94) and a fusion(L3-4,L4-5, L5-S1 in 01). The micro did ok for a few years, never good enough to try to ski again, but I could walk upright. After my fusion, I felt like Sparky. After 5 years it seemed to get better though. I'm finally going to try and ski again this year, I have been pain free for 2 years now. I'd say to wait til you have no pain for a while before trying it. You really don't want to have rods screwed into your spine, it's no fun, I did lose my slice though!

D

DJ

I never found ANY activity harder, on my back, than waterskiing.

I wouldn't even consider it.

Bayliner175xt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi sorry to hear about your injury, I would be more inclined to seek medical opinions rather than boating people's opinions.
Your playing with much more than learning to water ski,
My brother is a surgeon and he said "you would be wise to seek more than one medical opinion".