Fuel Restriction/Question?

buck78

Recruit
My motor is a 1987 Johnson 150. Does it have a fuel restriction alarm, is so can you distinguish it from a oil related alarm.

As far as the buzzer in the control box. It has a tan wire on one terminal, and two purple wires on the other terminal. The buzzer has power, but on the diagrams I've looked at, they show a black ground wire coming directly out of the unit. They say it should buzz a second or so when I turn the key on, but mine doesn't. Where could I order a new alarm? Any suggestions, comments, and replies would be greatly appreciated.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Restriction/Question?

The 1987 remote has a horn that is tested by inserting a spare key into a slot above the ignition key with the ignition key in the run position. The self test horn does not come in until later models.

The fuel restriction alarms are controlled by a vacuum switch located near the fuel pump. It has a tan wire connected to it.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Buck,welcome,you may find it easier to maintain 1 post if posting in a short period of time.As for testing your heat horn,on top of each head is a sensor with a tan wire,by putting your key in the on position,then disconnect the sensor,it should have a quick disconnect,take the wire from the harness side and put to a clean ground,that should sound the alarm.Its always wise to check both sides in case of a harness cut.True the older boxes (some)have a slot you put your key into,and it basically sends ground directly to the grnd.side of the horn,but if good contact isnt made due to corrosion etc.it wont test .The newer style have a sound momentarily when the key is put to on position.Both will sound if you do the test at the sensor point as I explained earlier.If you get no sound at that test,the horn COULD be bad,but,dirty connections often cause failure too.

Hello!

I have a 1989 Evinrude 100xp and a "buzzing" comes the control panel, but it really seems intermittent, not steay on, goes off and on- no real pattern. Tashasdaddy suggested it sounded like an alarm. Do you think this buzz from the control panel is a fuel restriction alarm? No beep, but a buzz?

Thank you for any help!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

To aketravisrat: a fuel restriction alarm is constant and was not a feature of the V4 motors. Please start a new thread for this discussion.