Johnson GT 150 Alarm Question

buck78

Recruit
I know that a continuous alarm is an engine temp. issue, and an intermittent alarm is a VRO/oil issue. I have read on several posts people saying that an intermittent alarm could also be a fuel restriction issue. My motor is a 1987 Johnson 150. Does it have a fuel restriction alarm, is so can you distinguish it from a oil related alarm.

As far as the buzzer in the control box. It has a tan wire on one terminal, and two purple wires on the other terminal. The buzzer has power, but on the diagrams I've looked at, they show a black ground wire coming directly out of the unit. They say it should buzz a second or so when I turn the key on, but mine doesn't. Where could I order a new alarm? Any suggestions, comments, and replies would be greatly appreciated.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Johnson GT 150 Alarm Question

Sounds like the buzzer is wired wrong, one wire should be ground, purple is power feed, remove one purple and install black ground.
Theres usually a spare purple to power up guages, someone stuck it in there for some reason. I wouldn't run the engine until the alarms are fixed.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Having 2 purple wires on the power terminal is OK, they may be feeding something else after the horn. The self test horns are 3 wire units. Purple for key-on power, a tan wire from the various senders and a black ground. The purpls and tan wires go to terminals and the black ground wire is built into the unit.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The self test horn did not exist in the 1987 remote (or 1988 for that matter). Instead, the horn was tested by turning the ignition key to the run position and inserting a spare key into a slot that is located above the ignition switch under the warm-up lever. This is explained in your 1987 Operator's Manual under "Warning Horn Test".