Bow chain question

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
Will this work for my 1700lb (dry weight) boat?
Tie Down?s bow safety chain connects the boat
to the bow stand of the trailer. Packed each.
3/16? (OAL 15-1/2?) Part #81201

I didnt know if 3/16ths was good enough.

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bow chain question

What's the tensile strength of the 3/16 ths?

What's the mass of your boat travelling highway speeds?

Those two questions aside......IMO No!

My safety chain is the same diameter as the chains on the tongue.
Also, I go to the frame rather than the winch pedestal.
My thinking is that the pedestal will have enough strain on it in any emergency, any backup system should rely on another structure.:)

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Working Load: 705 LBS (340 kgs)
Breaking Load: 3,000 LBS (1,360 kgs)

It will be attached to the frame

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

it should work, but i just went to home depot and got exactly what i needed for not much $$$. They even sell SS shackles there which makes it really convenient as you dont have to cut links or anything. they cut the chain to size on the spot and they have galvanized. I feel sometimes i get "better" stuff that way instead of buying it packaged and pre-made.

HappierWet

It would have the same mass parked in the driveway as it would going down the road at 200 mph. ;)

Unless I'm losing my mind ( a real possibility :D ) mass is weight times velocity;)

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unless I'm losing my mind ( a real possibility :D ) mass is weight times velocity;)

Yep your losing it. :D

mass is volume times density

or force divided by acceleration.

momentum is mass times velocity

I think you got a mix of all three :rolleyes:

HappierWet

Yep your losing it. :D

mass is volume times density

or force divided by acceleration.

momentum is mass times velocity

I think you got a mix of all three :rolleyes:

What are you saying? ......My density is accelerating towards critical velocity?:eek:

:D:D

NYBo

Admiral

The chain needs to be only as strong as the hull where the bow eye mounts.:eek:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

It would have the same mass parked in the driveway as it would going down the road at 200 mph. ;)

well, if you want to get technical... it probably has .0000000000000001% less mass at 200 mph. As you approach the speed of light your mass turns to energy. :D

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

The chain needs to be only as strong as the hull where the bow eye mounts.:eek:

Agreed. Any more than a ~1 g panic stop or minor collision and there will be nothing you can do to stop your boat from following Newton's first law. Make sure the chain's breaking strength exceeds the weight of your boat and that the attachments are equally strong.

well, if you want to get technical... it probably has .0000000000000001% less mass at 200 mph. As you approach the speed of light your mass turns to energy. :D

It's the other way around. Mass increases as you approach the speed of light (energy is converted to mass). That's why no object with mass can actually reach the speed of light - it's mass would become infinite.

I think Einstein postulated that as you as you get nearer the speed of light mass increases and time (relative to you) slows, and at the speed of light you would have infinite mass, therefore taking an infinite amount of energy, thus the speed of light is unattainable. Or at least thats how I remember it,:cool: