'83 7.5 Gamefisher cooling question

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok, I've found my carb kit for this engine, but I have another question. I notice the motor is air cooled, but before I pull the lower unit, is there an impellor for the exhaust cooling? I didn't see one on the parts site and just wondered before I start tearing things down.

M

mrcrabs

Re: '83 7.5 Gamefisher cooling question

yes there is an impeller, take your model no. over to sears and you will find the diagrams for your outboard, you will pay alot more at sears but you can do better, and I'm betting your impeller is the same as the rest, a 9.8 7/16 id merc, which you can get at Iboats or on ebay and most merc dealers...most impellers need a new key also, ebay or sears is the only place I know to get them unless you can make one, there a needle bearing type of key

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

<I notice the motor is air cooled,--->

Specifically the CYLINDER is aircooled. The critical lower bearing/seal area which receives an enormous heat load from the combustion gases that exit the engine immediately underneath them is watercooled. If you read a lot of Eska posts you will see a lot of 'experts' who tell help seekers that the waterpump is to cool the exhaust leg. That is indeed a side benefit but the lower bearing/seal MUST be cooled. Failure to do so results in highly accelerated wear rate of all crankshaft journals and bearings. I just replaced a powerhead which had been 'over-cooked' on an aircooled Chrysler a few weeks ago because the waterpump inlets were stopped up. The reciprocating parts were terminal but the AIR-COOLED cylinder & piston were undamaged.
Don't let anyone convince you that the waterpump is 'optional'!

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.