Any ideas H>E>L>P

blsemt

Recruit
i recently bought a 72 20 hp mercury had a new water pump ne fuel pump carb rebuilt was so excited to get it on the 14 foot jon boat and off to the lake to test ......WELLLLLLL went out and didnt feel like it was throteling up all the way and after about 15 minutes i was sitting and as soon as put in in gear it stalls ok pulled and ok started after 2nd pull same thing put in gear and cupuuut so did it again idles fine reverse is ok went all way to ramp in reverse called the guy i bought it from he said must have got some crap in carb to clean it so again cleaned it figured out why wouldnt throtle up all was ( little metal stopper thingy was in the way and loose )so tightened and adjusted it now opening all way up great,test in the yard and was great went back to lake ran awsome 100%]better then first time thought had it licked still didnt seem full potential but better... then stopped in middle of lake and crap put it in gear and stalls 3 times great in reverse and idles fine so tilted a littl and then it seem to take off and lowered and was fine back to dock ....what the heck can be causeing that after it warms up for about 20 min.....

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Any ideas H>E>L>P

Perhaps the little metal stopper thingy that he tightened up before backed out. If its a threaded part could the treads be stripped? Vibration could back it off again like before.

blsemt

Recruit
Re: Any ideas H>E>L>P

yes thanks i got that part fixed cant figure out why when warms up that it stall when putting in forward