1970 Evinrude 18hp gearcase seal

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

What would be a good gear case sealant to use along with the gear case seal?

I tried looking for the gear case seal here on Iboats, but I didn't see it. Am I just missing it or something?

Is there a way to true the surfaces of the upper and lower gear case....kind of like the cylinder head and power head?

Hear are some pictures of what I am referring to

DSC02315.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

Thanks in advance!!

cajuncook1

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1970 Evinrude 18hp gearcase seal

Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks,

cajuncook1

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hi.
i would use a spagetti seal(its seal made from big thick oring,cuted in one place) and use black silicone LOCTITE 5900 as is using for oil conteiner in cars

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The gaps shown in the pictures is not normal. Don't know what happened there. But I do notice the screws are not installed, so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, no you cannot mill or resurface the parts because the parts inside would no longer fit (the cavity would no longer be round).

It doesn't matter to me what sealant you use, but the correct stuff is Scotchgrip #847. You can get it from an Evinrude dealer or www.mcmaster.com The spagetti seal comes with a seal kit.

Attachments

• Scotchgrip 847.jpg
    Scotchgrip 847.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks FR and raczekp1!!

FR, I bought this motor, as a fix up project. I agree with you the gear case halves opening does not look normal and I don't know what happened there either. I going to try and clean the halves surfaces well and see if the mate up a little better. The screws are in the holes and are snug in, so that is the discouraging part. Might be looking for another gear case. The hardware inside is in surprising good shape. I took everything out a cleaned the parts well.

Thanks for the information guys, I appreciate your time and advice.

cajuncook1

jbjennings

Captain

Glad you found some help on that one, Cajuncook. It had me a little stumped, since I've never seen that before! At least you did get the best help that could be had here.
Later,
JBJ

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I was reading some pass post and came across Ezeke discussing the use of hardened stainless socket (Allen) screws. The ones that match the lower gear case/skeg screws are 1/4 20 with 3/4 to 7/8 inches in length.

Wow, what a difference they made. I was able to get a better seal between the upper and low gear case halves. Much easier to tighten and torque too.

Ordering the gear case seal kit here on Iboats, but the two recommend sealants ( Scotchgrip #847 and LOCTITE 5900), I could not find here on Iboats. Try to save some money on shipping cost and getting the things I need from one source if possible.

Any recommendation for products here on iboats that will do the job.

Manual recommends:

Sealer 1000 and Perfect Seal #4

Thanks in advance,

cajuncook1