bow rise on Rinker Captiva 212

ofhs85

Cadet
I Just bought a 03 Rinker 212 Captiva with a 5.0 MPI motor. Just took it out for the first time and noticed that it has a little to much bow rise. I read a few posts that recommend tabs or smart tabs. I would love to get Smart tabs but there are several angles on the Hull and I'm not sure if they will fit. also the tabs that i have found are for 18-22 foot boats up to 240hp and my boat is 20 feet with 260hp. I attached a few picks to show the back of the boat. Do you think they will fit if so where would you install them. if i cant install them what else can i do to stop the bow rise. thanks

Attachments

• boat 019.jpg
    boat 019.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 2

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: bow rise on Rinker Captiva 212

Contact nauticus, their service is awesome, go through this thread

Smart Tab Failure

From what I have read you may or may not need them

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I think those pods pretty much rule out any type of tab.

ofhs85

Cadet

do you think a hydrofoil Fin will help?

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are you trimmed down all the way when taking off? Full throttle till it gets on plane? Propped correctly? I would think with 260 HP, it should level off pretty quickly. Just a thought. Hate to see you put a Fin on if it's not needed.

Philster

Captain

Trim tabs on such a boat = waste.

If the motor is all the way down/in when accelerating onto plane, then trim tabs are not needed -- Not on that boat.

Once you climb over the bow wave (planing) and hull is coming up out of the water, raise the outdrive and more hull will come out.

Bows do rise when you sit behind the bow wave and are not pushing enough throttle to climb it. If you get stuck in this zone because you are stuck between puttering speeds and planing speeds, then trim tabs (lowered) will just cover up what is basically a lack of fundamental boating knowledge.

Go offshore in bad seas and trim tabs can make the ride a bit better and fight wave and wind action.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah. That boat shouldn't need tabs. Make sure your trim is working properly and make sure your bildge isn't full of water. I can't tell if your boat is a bowrider or not. If it is, put the fatties up front.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Skip the fin, you have an I/O - no way to get it out of the water after you plane out.

ofhs85

Cadet

motor is all the way down and at full throttle with 2 people on the bow and 1 in the rear and she still has alot of bow rise. enough to where i have to stand up to see ahead of me. trim is working and no water in the boat. there is a 7 digit nuber on the prop and the last 2 are 19 so i would guess that is the pitch of the prop

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

sounds pretty normal to me. Trim tabs would help but I dont see how you could mount them on that transom.

Your definition of alot of bow rise might be different than mine though.

It doesnt take more than 2-3 seconds for the bow to come back down, right?

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

she still has alot of bow rise. enough to where i have to stand up to see ahead of me.

As long as its for a few seconds, that sounds pretty normal. Every boat I've ever been on (other than large cabin cruisers) hits a point where you can't see well over the bow during the take off.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

As long as its for a few seconds, that sounds pretty normal.

Good piont. We haven't quatified "a lot of bow rise".