remove foam on 14' lund?

tigerfish

Cadet
I just bought a 1991 14' lund. Its what I call a aluminum jon boat with a modified hull. I looks to be a great boat very sturdy. The only thing I don't like is it does't have a live well or any storage space under the benches.Instead it has flotation foam. I was thinking of removing the foam under the middle bench and converting it to storage. I don't know if that foam was put in at the factory or if the previous owner did it. The foam is in good shape it is not water logged or anything but I was concerned if this would change the way the boat rode in the water or make it less stable.It would still have foam under the front deck and in the rear bench close to the transom. If anyone has any idea I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks.

guzziprov

Cadet
Re: remove foam on 14' lund?

Tiger

The foam in your lund is factory as they all have it. You can remove it but keep in mind that you will be removing some of the flotation designed to keep the boat level in the water should it become swamped.

Enloy the new toy, they are built like tanks!

tigerfish

Cadet
Re: remove foam on 14' lund?

After second thought I will just leave it alone. Knowing my luck I would hate to remove it and need it down the road.If it was put in at the factory they put it in there for a reason.I will have to figure something else out.Knowing myself I will probably trade for a bigger boat in a year or two anyway. Thanks for the info guzziprov.