10 Best flybys

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 10 Best flybys

#1 is just amazing. You could make a documentary just on how and why the water did that..

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

While I was stationed in Germany we were doing some earthwork in a training area ........ the fighter pilots used to practice their high speed "nap of the earth" runs and we knew ........ we were their practice targets.

Unbelievable feeling to see that stuff in person.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

While camping in the southern California desert with some friends, we were strafed by a pair of jets. They knocked down half the tents and everyone had to change their shorts. We could see them screaming across the desert floor leaving dust trails like the water trail in #1. Absolutely awsom.

Drowned Rat

Captain

It looked like that guy in #3 just about had his head taken off!

oddjob

Commander

#1 Sonic boom ?

Yes and it happens with or without water. At about 53sec of #1, right at the beginning, I see something ...maybe a bird?..pelican? ....free fall after the jet just misses it.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

#1 Sonic boom ?

No. Aircraft are not allowed to exceed the speed of sound in populated areas, even during flight demonstrations, such as this Blue Angels F/A-18 show.

What you are seeing is the result of a pressure wave, created at near sonic speeds. It has partially to due with proximity with the water and partially to do with extreme compression of moisture laden air, resulting in condensation. You can also observe this phenominon at higher levels, with no immediate proximity to water, during high-G manuevers.

???

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Great video!

It used to scare the crap outta me when I watched the B-52s doing that stuff when I was stationed at Fairchild AFB. Pretty freaky. :eek:

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

Great video!

It used to scare the crap outta me when I watched the B-52s doing that stuff when I was stationed at Fairchild AFB. Pretty freaky. :eek:

well unfortunately that one guy that was notorious for hot dogging a B52 crashed it showing off and killed about 6 on board :(

I'm amazed how quiet #5 or #6 is, can't remember.

cribber

Lieutenant

We would watch the Air Force Thunderbirds practice in the desert from Angels Peak in Nevada when I was stationed out there. They'd come up into the mountains and pop the sound barrier every now and again.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

We would watch the Air Force Thunderbirds practice in the desert from Angels Peak in Nevada when I was stationed out there. They'd come up into the mountains and pop the sound barrier every now and again.

freaking awesome.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

#1 is just amazing. You could make a documentary just on how and why the water did that..

No kidding....close to the sound barrier, but not quite pushed through it yet.

Philip_G

Chief Petty Officer

I've seen a video from a different angle in that incident showing that there was another aircraft approaching that the B-52 was trying to avoid.

might be a different accident, that guy was well known for doing things he shouldn't.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I've seen a video from a different angle in that incident showing that there was another aircraft approaching that the B-52 was trying to avoid.

I have no idea of that is true or not, but I've never seen or read anything that mentions it.

As Philip stated, the guy involved, was well known for being a cowboy. Trying to push a BUFF (B52) to the extremes that can be seen in the various videos of the accident, pretty much guartantees a crash. I would get into a discussion of something called an "accelerated stall," but when you get into a "knife edge" attitude in a BUFF, you pretty much have no lift at all, anyway.

???