1979 Inline 6 90hp

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am cleaning/rebuilding this motor. I say that with some exaggeration because it is probably the cleanest motor I have seen. Not sure the whole story on it, but it doesnt seem all that used. I have pulled the carbs, fuel pump, and replacing the hoses. Other than that I do have a few questions on what some of the other hoses are on the motor, but I will post pics with questions on that later.

My question now is that I have a manual for it and for the most part it is very helpful. But when I get to the timing and synchronization section, it skips right over my year model motor. I have seen this in wiring diagrams, seems that the 1979 inline six's were a tad bit different than others. The manual does go on to 1980 and the pictures in it seem to match up to what I have. Will it be the same procedures? Also if I cannot get a dial indicator, can I use a caliper? What surface does the dial indicator measure from? Top of plug threads or the bottom of them?

Anyone ever do a timing and synchronization with these motors? From what I have read it seems that I might have just picked up a real gem and I want to make sure that I set things right so it will last as long as they say they can.

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: 1979 Inline 6 90hp

The manual does go on to 1980 and the pictures in it seem to match up to what I have. Will it be the same procedures?

Yes the procedure is exactly the same. you can also find a link and sync procedure here in the FAQ that is a little easier to follow than the manual.

Also if I cannot get a dial indicator, can I use a caliper? What surface does the dial indicator measure from? Top of plug threads or the bottom of them?

Actually neither. It is .464 away from TDC. you will have difficulty using a caliper as you will not be able to hold it steady enough to take a decent reading. dial indicators are cheap and available at most tool supply houses.

Anyone ever do a timing and synchronization with these motors

Yes, and it is the most important adjustment that you will do on an inline six. In fact, its likely the only adjustment you will ever make once you have it running correctly.

From what I have read it seems that I might have just picked up a real gem and I want to make sure that I set things right so it will last as long as they say they can.
Yes, you do have a gem. The rest of my answers are within your quote.:)

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can see how it would be the most, if not only. There is amazingly little on this motor. In fact, I blew off getting it at first because it didn't look like it was all there. I will get the dial indicator. I will also read the FAQ on it. So I am right in assuming that just because it is the odd year out, you can still do things like the rest of the distributorless ones? Type 3 ignition, I believe.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Duhh....I am brain dead tonight, passed overv the first answer that was given. Sorry.