Inboard Trimming

nloltman

Recruit
I've read a couple threads on here already about how to properly trim an inboard and I know there isnt one answer and I fully understand it depends on the boat, the water conditions, and the overall feel etc. However I have a 2003 Crownline 210 BR with the 5.0 Volvo Penta (260 HP) and thoroughly have enjoyed it as this is my first Summer and have already been out 6 times. I think I have figured out the sweet spot in the trim however I have a question...when I think I am in the sweet spot the outdrive and prop seem to make a spray upward in the back that I can see and for some reason I dont notice this spray going up out of the water from their outdrive and prop on other boats passing by but may be I cant see it...the only way to get rid of the spray is to trim out more and it seems like when i trim it out more to get rid of the spray you can here the prop coming out of the water slightly but the way the water looks coming out from the prop it looks the way its supposed to...I may be just a truly obsessive compulsive person being concerned with this but I wanted to know from anyone out there if this slight spraying up out of the water is normal from the outdrive and prop when the trim seems to be in the sweet spot....thanks!!!

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Inboard Trimming

The water leaving the stern of your boat should be nice and smooth. If the prop is kicking water up you are over trimmed. If you talking about some very some light spray coming up it may be a transducer or your speedo pick-up causing some disturbance.

nloltman

Recruit
Re: Inboard Trimming

Now that I think about it yes it may be caused by the speedo finger which I know not a lot of boats have...I think the volvo outdrive is one of the few that does not have the speedo built into the outdrive itself and has a separate finger attached to the hull sticking down into the water...thats probably it...its definitely not from the prop being out of the water...thanks.