Force 120 two piece shaft problem

rjespo11

Recruit
Hey guys I am new here, and in need of some serious help!? I have done a little research and what i have NOT found is a replacement for my two piece drive shaft including the coupling sleeve.

My lower shaft splines stripped out inside of the coupling (i need both parts). Lose mounting bolts was the cause of this, i think..

1. what should i do!!??
2. what would be the cheapest, quickest, easiest?
3. Can i swap to a one piece shaft?
4. what lower unit will fit my setup!?

ANY help or pointing me in the right direction is much obliged!! thanks guys!
-Ryan.:cool:

jaybirddog11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Force 120 two piece shaft problem

You should provide year and model number so that the gurus on this site can help you.

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Marine Parts Outlet 3384 SE Dixie Hwy Stuart, FL 34997 772-283-3433 or toll-free 866-627-7278. Fax: 772-283-5647 8:30am - 5:30pm Monday - Friday,

Call them for a used coupling and the drive and pinion shaft. They should have it and someone could chime in here and agree or disagree with me but Im pretty sure the 85hp 1989 that i have on mine will work on yours depending on your shaft length I just checked the part numbers for a few and the pinion shaft part numbers are the same so maybe you can get lucky and call them and you can get the shafts etc from them from an 89 85hp

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You should provide year and model number so that the gurus on this site can help you.

Theirs only a few model numbers that have the 2 piece shaft with the coupling and all have the same shafts impretty sure the company ive been using has them and will sell them to you ALOT CHEAPER then the merc price!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

4 different lower units could have been used on your motor.
The first thing to do is identify which setup you have.
Then determine how much you are willing to spend to fix this motor.
Then decide how long you are willing to search for parts? A month, six months, a year?

New parts are available from Mercury, but would cost you between $700 and $1600, depending on which setup you have.

To switch to a one piece, you will need to find a shaft that will fit the crank, and fit the lower unit.

Cheapest solution would be to find a similar parts motor.

There were a lot of parts changes during the 1990-1992 model years. Finding parts that will work together could prove exhausting.

eight tracker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1985 85hp force with a lower unit off a 150hp dual exhust with the 2 piece shaft any 2 piece shaft will work,check ebay i see them quite regularly.

tom