Removing the Lower Unit

leilani8983

Recruit
Ok, I know I should just go and buy a darn manual, but I'll ask the question anyways. I have a 50hp Force (87-89 not exactly sure). I am trying to remove the lower unit in order to replace the impeller. I removed the four bolts holding the lower unit on, but there is something else I need to disconnect and i cant find it. The lower unit lowered about an inch, but what else do I need to disconnect. Please help!:confused::confused:

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Removing the Lower Unit

you need to disconnect the shift linkage. There is a small cotter pin with a pin hold it together when you lower it that inch you should be able to see it. I also diconnect the linkage at the top to give myself a bit more play.

leilani8983

Recruit

Where is the linkage at the top? Is the impeller an easy fix on it? This is the first time I've taken it apart. I'm just a little nervous.

ckneath

Recruit

it easy i just pulled mine apart to check my water pump its just like jeremy said but while i was checking that out i noticed that my driveshaft spline seal was tore and i wondering if anyone knew how much oil the lower unit held and what kind you think i should run

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

it easy i just pulled mine apart to check my water pump its just like jeremy said but while i was checking that out i noticed that my driveshaft spline seal was tore and i wondering if anyone knew how much oil the lower unit held and what kind you think i should run

welcome to iboats ckneath.

You would be better served starting a new thread with your question, instead of adding on to another thread.

Also, you need to post make-model-year-hp info, for us to give you an accurate answer.

As far as "what kind" of gearcase lube, any brand of marine grade gearcase lube.

leilani8983

Recruit

Thanks a lot for the info. I got the lower unit removed and the impeller fixed! Do I need to put more gear lube in the motor after I take the lower unit off?? I ran the motor a little bit without doing it because I didn't think I lost any while taking it off, but I don't know for sure. Thanks.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have already changed your lower unit oil recently then you are fine. if you have not done it in awhile then I would just change it anyway so you know there is enough.