Force Starting Technique

Hi Guys,

Quick question that I had also asked within one of my other threads:

When cold starting your Force, do you run the risk of flooding the engine when you use throttle only (fast idle)?

And I read somewhere that the Force engines don't have a conventional choke, but rather some gizmo that actually squirts fuel into the carb?

Please excuse the lack and accuracy of techinical lingo as I am still very much a novice.

Also, BTW, I have a 1997 Mercury Force 90hp.

Thanks in advance!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Force Starting Technique

I've found that using the neutral fast idle position helps get the motor started with fewer attempts. Based on that, I would say that it does not increase the chances of flooding. Engaging the choke too long will definitely increase the chances of flooding. You should only need 2 or 3 seconds of choke on each attempt.

On your particular motor you are correct in that it does not have a conventional choke plate. It has what is called a "fuel enrichment solenoid". It does away with the choke plate. Only advantage I can see is that it does away with the restriction in the opening of the mouth of the carburetor caused by the choke plate and shaft sitting there.