fuel pump ?

pepper

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, need some input, I have a 1981 mariner 4 clin. with 2 carbs will run a bit and run out of gas pump bulb it will go till it runs that gas out , run at half speed and down runs ok,& also how many turns out from all the way in for adj.screw if it has been out . and does it have a fuel pump ? thanks for any replys.:eek:

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: fuel pump ?

Yes, it has a fuel pump but not an electric like a auto. It works off crankcase pressure with little diaphragms. First make sure the fuelfilter is not clogged or the fuel tank is not creating a vacuum. Then make sure the fuel pump is tight to the engine.

pepper

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Dave for the reply, but where is the pump located ? my gas line goes right to the 2 carbs from the pump bulb,:confused:

Spring

Seaman Apprentice

Pumps are prolly on the side of the carbs where the fuel line connects. I'm not 100% sure on your model but I have a 1983 4 cylinder Mariner 50 and that's where mine are. Should be similar.

pepper

Seaman Apprentice

Pumps are prolly on the side of the carbs where the fuel line connects. I'm not 100% sure on your model but I have a 1983 4 cylinder Mariner 50 and that's where mine are. Should be similar.

Does this part have only one screw in the middle where the gas line goes on, on the carb ? nothing under mine but a screen filter ?,:eek:

Spring

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, one philipps head screw that holds the pump inlet cover on. That is the fuel pump itself and is held onto the carb by four slotted screws. Caution, be careful how you reassemble the fuel pump and the cover.

pepper

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, one philipps head screw that holds the pump inlet cover on. That is the fuel pump itself and is held onto the carb by four slotted screws. Caution, be careful how you reassemble the fuel pump and the cover.

Thanks Spring , now i know where 2 start , ;)