New member, new engine (75' Johnson 70HP)...

Jet Wrench

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Great website! Excellent information and good people! Thank's for having be aboard! Got the boating fever again, just picked up a 66 Boston Whaler Sakonnet, no engine or controls, hull is clean and getting ready to gelcoat. Got on Craigslist a couple of days ago and found a 70HP Johnson attached to an old bass boat south of where I live. It had been sitting for a couple of years, but it is all there. Couldn't pass it up for $100.00! I was told the compression is good, so I took the plunge yesterday and drove out to check it out. Not only did I get the OB, but was able to get the throttle controls, teleflex, two gas tanks and fuel lines, steering wheel and attaching hardware and OMC engine instruments! I managed to remove all the cables without introducing any kinks. That being said, I know I will need to remove and replace at least one coil and definitely the carb rebuid kits and water impeller. One coil had cracked from the Texas heat having sit out for so long. It's got a clean stainless prop and it is a short shaft :). How has this model held up over time? Anything I should be aware of right off the bat? I appreciate the heads up, y'all will get tired of hearing from me! Thanks in advance. Jet Wrench

dozerII

Admiral
Re: New member, new engine (75' Johnson 70HP)...

Welcome Jet, you have come to the place with all the answers for sure. I can't tell you lots about the O/B but my brother had one for tow years and never had a problem with it.
Glen

Jet Wrench

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Glen. That's good to know! Already ordering some rebuild kits for the carbs and a replacement water impeller!

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Glen. That's good to know! Already ordering some rebuild kits for the carbs and a replacement water impeller!

dot forget the lower unit oil, spark plugs and wires... good luck