volvo penta sx-c | leaking gear oil | need advice

ok, so I put the boat (1995 Glastron SSV 195 Ski/Fish with Volvo Penta SX-C 3868160) in the water this weekend to try it out and at the end of the weekend I found the drive gear oil a milky white.

so back to the garage and drain that out and start looking at sources. it didn't take long as after I opened the plastic rear cover to the upper gear gase I found a nice pool of oil and water.

My question is, as I am new to I/O maintenance and repair, which of the seals should I start with investigating? The lubric level plug seemed solid, and the gasket on the water cover seems solid.

My assumption was therefore to look at the seals and rings in the shift housing. I have the clymers shop manual and it is dificult to tell if this is for the faint of heart or not. Any advice?

IMG_6051.JPG

IMG_6051-1.JPG

Also, has anyone done the updated and added the washers here to remove the movement:
IMG_6050.JPG
?

xltier

Chief Petty Officer
Re: volvo penta sx-c | leaking gear oil | need advice

do yourself a big favor and get the rite factory manual.then it wont be that hard.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The first thing you should do is pull the outdrive and see if there is water in the bellows.
If it's clean and dry, drain the gear lube and do a pressure and vacuum check of the outdrive.
You can find the OEM service manual download links up in the Adults only sticky at the top of the forum. Look at the Volvo info.

Thanks Don. I am going to see if I can pickup a shop crane and plan for a little more time to begin investigating further.

An interesting side note on this incident. Apperently I forgot to mention to my wife that by picking up this boat for a "good deal" there would be maintenance and repair work required. She is painfully aware that a new version of this boat with warranty involves a difference income than mine but still woeful about about the investment in time. Boat maintenance, a new hobby she didn't see coming.