Motors shaking

zach103

Commander
I have a Johnson 88 SPL on a 17ft larson bowrider. now today i was out on it and the eninge was very shaking.. not side to side like a steering shaky. but kind of tilting up and down. now it doesnt do it when in full throttle but other than that it will do it. Any ideas

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Motors shaking

An electrical problem can cause this type of bounce, it can shut off for a split second which will cause the motor move slightly and then when under power again it moves back to the original position.

A single bad coil won't normally cause much movement, it typically needs to stop firing completely for it to bounce or jump much.

If the bounce was accompanied by a loud bang it can be jumping out of gear for a split second. This can be from wear and tear, or from the cable being out of adjustment.

zach103

Commander

i understand the electrical part of it but what could it be.. like what component.. also while here i need to figure out the regulator and alternator wires to connect to the battery switch

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

There isn't an alternator or regulator on that motor, just a very simple 6 amp charging system and a rectifier, none of them need to be connected to anything other than what they connect to under the cowl.

You need to start looking at things that affect the entire electrical system, at this point it could be anything from a bad ground wire, kill switch, or ignition switch, to a stator or power pack.

zach103

Commander

ok even better.. .. ill check all the connections to and from the motor and all the stuff inside..