motor keeps shutting off

proline24

Cadet
I have a 1996 225 Carb. Merc. Last Sat.,after running about 2 1/2 hours out to the ledge and then trolling for about 45 min.,my motor kept shutting down.It would start back up but when you got over 1100 rpm,s it would stall.If you went WOT most of the time it would go. I have had a simular problem before and found the bleeder check valves getting clogged up.I have replaced all of them now.I noticed with the throttle at 3/4 open I was only getting about 2800-3000 rpm,s.Any suggestions on which way to go on this? My engine serial no. is OG423431

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor keeps shutting off

Are you getting any warning horns? Is the system self testing when key turned on?(1/2 second beep) Check all your connections 1st, check that linkages are opening carbs fully, test TPS sensor, check timing for advancement as if ECU fails stator will take over but timing will only be around 9 degrees@wide open.

proline24

Cadet

Thanks for replying back.No there is no warning horns,Yes there is a beep when I turn on the key.This problem seems to come up after the motor is hot. The problem is that it's not Consistant. The next time I take the boat out it will most likely run fine.This was the first time I noticed the throttle position verses the engine RPM. It runs good going out but when I slow down to troll (about 2000 RPM) it starts acting up.(after about 20-30 min.) It runs good at higher RPM'S, except this last time,it did slow down some but when I bumped the throttle up a little it picked right back up.(running at 4000 RPM'S it started slowing down)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

I would check all that was posted earlier and also check the temp sensor/t-stat on starboard head as if its giving a false heat reading to ECU it will reduce engine to 3000 rpm max.

proline24

Cadet

It will run over 3000 RPM'S. When it was acting up the other day it wouldn't run between 1100-2800 RPM'S. Above that and below that it would run. how do you check timing advance? Does the motor have to be in the water to do this? I'll try to do what I can and if I can't figure it out I'll have to take it to the shop.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You can check timing with at iming light and yes it need to be in water with a load, you can test it on the trailer if you can get it to the problem rpm.

proline24

Cadet

Thanks Fatz. I do have a book and a timing light so I'll try to check it this week end when I can get to the ramp.