Slip Tips (Lake Hamilton, Arkansas)

splicer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm trailering my boat to Hot Springs in July, and keeping it in a slip while we're there. I've never kept my boat in a slip, and don't know what kind of slip it is yet. Give me some tips on keeping it in a slip for a week.

Should I cover it (slip is covered)?
Do I need to take everything out?

If anyone knows of the Power Boats Inc. Marina on Lake Hamilton, give me some info on their slips.

Thanks!

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Slip Tips (Lake Hamilton, Arkansas)

I don't know about their slips, but I'll never buy a boat from them. I looked at a used rig there once and the sales person lied to me through her teeth. She wasn't aware that I knew the individual who sold it to the individual who traded it to them. But I digress. Lake Hamilton. It's a major party lake. Watch out for drunks, many of whom aren't really that intelligent when sober. I realize that's not a geographically unique issue, but I thought you'd want to know. Also, I've never slipped there but I've heard tales of things in boats growing legs, so I'd remove any valuables when leaving her alone for a while. I wouldn't worry about covering it unless the weather's going to be nasty. Arkansas summers are typically hot and dry with the occasional brief thunderboomer, although last year was uncharacteristically wet. Hope this helps and doesn't scare you out of going to Hamilton as that wasn't my intent. By the way, when are you coming up? We're less than an hour NE of Hot Springs and our usual lake is Catherine, which is literally only separated from Hamilton by a dam. We frequent Catherine because it's more of a family lake and we have a seven year old daughter.

splicer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We're coming the first week of July, coming from Ruston, LA. We're staying just a 1/4m down the road from Power Boats, and they're the only marina we could find to rent a slip from. I haven't paid a deposit, so could easily move somewhere else, if there's anything better. We plan on being on the water for the fireworks.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Sounds like a large time. We'll be doing the same thing at Greers Ferry (large COE lake 1-1.5 hours north of here) most of that week or I'd horn in on your fun at least long enough to meet a fellow iboater. You'll be fine slipping at Powerboats if you can't find anything you like better. Hamilton's a neat lake with lots of restaurants on the water. If you find yourself wanting a change of pace during the week check out Ouachita. It's a 50 some odd thousand acre corps impoundment in that neck of the woods. Lots of really cool islands and beautiful scenery of all kinds.;) There's also a lot more room to play.