58' 35hp fuel system? need a little help

Jet Star

Seaman
ive been trying to get this old motor running that i picked up and i think the fuel system is the reason for not starting. 1st the fuel line connections to the gas tank and the motor seem a little loose 2nd when i prime the bulb it doesnt go hard and seems to not be getting much fuel. it takes for ever to get much gas into the clear bowl of the fuel pump 3rd the gas that makes it into the clear bowl ends up dirty and green. im thinking the priming bulb not getting hard has something to do with the carb float, what else should i check?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: 58' 35hp fuel system? need a little help

It sounds like the tank that you use has old filthy fuel in it and beyond that,the fuel line and ball are defective.
Start by cleaning out the tank and replacing the hose,connectors and bulb.
You will probably also have to replace all the hoses on the engine and service the fuel pump and carburetors.
It is a pity to have trouble now,you should be out on the Niagara bar catching Cohos

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Clean the fuel system from tank to motor, tighten all connections, consider rebuilding the carb, check the initial carb settings in the top secret file at the top of the J/E forum. If the bulb won't firm up, you aren't getting fuel into the carb more than likely...see any leaks?

Jet Star

Seaman

well theres fesh gasmix in the tank and the bulb and fuel line is brand new, i also changes all the other fuel lines too, theres an arrow on the bulb im asuming that it should be pointinh from the gas tank to the motor? maby i probably need a fuel pump kit and carb kit. could i get rid of the filter in the fuel pump if i use an inline fuel filter? i think there was alot of crap dried out in that filter and maby thats why its getting dirty and green