14 years since she ran... Now what?

72searay190

Cadet
I have a 1976 Mercury 1500. I fogged it last time I ran it and put it in the barn because I was going to replace the floor of the boat - stripped the interior of the boat and wound up unemployed... 14 years later, I am financially ready to tackle that unfinished project. Um, 14 years is a LONG TIME. Do you think I will have any problems starting the engine again? What precautions would you do / take before trying to fire it up... I thought of pulling the carbs off and going thru them again, Definitely change the impeller (again)... anything else?

dbrew

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 14 years since she ran... Now what?

first you will have to rebuild carbs they will be clogged up secont you will need a new impeller. i would replace the lower unit gear oil, other than that you might want to spray some wd40 or other lubericant in the sparkplug holes just to make sure the cylinders have some lube when you first fire it up.

Mercury60

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 14 years since she ran... Now what?

first you will have to rebuild carbs they will be clogged up secont you will need a new impeller. i would replace the lower unit gear oil, other than that you might want to spray some wd40 or other lubericant in the sparkplug holes just to make sure the cylinders have some lube when you first fire it up.

I would also inspect the plugs when you spray a bunch of wd40 or whatever lubricant you choose. If they are trashy looking, throw a new set in there. it will only help things along. I'd then turn the engine over by hand a bunch of times to lubricate the piston rings.

It might also be a good idea to replace the fuel lines. Not absolutely necessary but there is probably a bunch of gunk in them now. It would stink to foul up the carbs after you rebuild them.

You might also want to fish some wire through your tell-tale water lines just in case some critters have made a home in there.

Its been 14 years, a few added steps might prevent some additional troubleshooting.