1993 40 hp Evinrude starting problem

teng

Recruit
Ok, so I have a 1993 40HP Evinrude 2 stroke motor.
I just got it back from the shop. They said the motor ran fine when it was there but I can't seem to get it started. The motor would turn but not start. I'm starting correctly but it just won't start.

Here is whatI would do
-Prime bulb until its firm
-Press Choke in and start.
-If that doesn't work, I put the gas forward to open up the gas a little. It just cranks and cranks

So my friend came over last night, we took out the plugs and put a little gas in there. She fired right up. It seems to me that the boat is starving for gas. After we got it started. I was able to shut her off and restart it just fine. I already put a new gas line and all new gas in. Not sure what could be wrong?

How do I check the choke to make sure gas is being squirted into the chamber? Don't think it'd be a fuel pump issue as when the boat starts it runs just fine. So my thinking is that its the choke? Can that be replaced?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1993 40 hp Evinrude starting problem

pull small hose off top of carb, pump up hose, press key, gas should shoot out. make sure the arrow on the fuel line bulb, is pointing toward motor. weak battery not turning motor fast enough.

teng

Recruit

pull small hose off top of carb, pump up hose, press key, gas should shoot out. make sure the arrow on the fuel line bulb, is pointing toward motor. weak battery not turning motor fast enough.

Battery is not the issue. If I take one of the plugs off and put in a little gas and put the plug back in, she starts right up, no problems.

Will go out and pull small hose off carb and try that

teng

Recruit

Ok, pull off the line, not sure if its the right line but did as u said and no gas squirting