control cables to outboard

siteman44

Recruit
Hi, I have a Johnson 20hp (1988) that I need to hook the control cables onto. The cables are installed in the shift box already, but I dont know if there is some kind of kit available to connect the throttle and shift cables to the engine. HELP PLEASE !

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer
Re: control cables to outboard

Hi, I have a Johnson 20hp (1988) that I need to hook the control cables onto. The cables are installed in the shift box already, but I dont know if there is some kind of kit available to connect the throttle and shift cables to the engine. HELP PLEASE !

there's no kit... the cables, if the correct ones, should connect to the throttle and shift linkage...

siteman44

Recruit

Thanks Count, however is there not retainer clips with a throttle and linkage attachment for the cables to mount onto the side of the motor and tie into the appropriate controls??

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Count, however is there not retainer clips with a throttle and linkage attachment for the cables to mount onto the side of the motor and tie into the appropriate controls??

do the cables that you have look like this???

Attachments

• cc205_5.jpg
    cc205_5.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0

siteman44

Recruit

Yes, but without the ends to connect to the throttle and gear shift, there is nothing beyond the fine adjustment screw

steely51

Seaman Apprentice

there are two styles of omc type cables and unless someone has changed something the new style won' work with the new. if the engine end of your cables have just a wire out of the housing you will need to get the ferrels and hardware that attatch to thend of the wire. there is a special way to attatch the ends with the double set screw barrell. tighten one side until contact with the wire, back it off one turn run the other set screw untill contact and then go about one turn more. this will kink the end and make a positive lock a little blue locktight isn't a bad idea .