Moding my 2010 lowe 1436 jon boat/how long will wood last

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
I plan on using wood to put a few mods in my small boat to weigh it down especially the front and am going to use behr water seal as thompsons did crap:mad: for me and the behr lasted at least a yr in my last boat and was going strong but how long do u think this stuff will hold up in saltwater in reality as it is rated for 8yrs on any wood but do u think it can hold up that long in saltwater?

The thompsons did not even last 6mths and i followed the instructions to a tee,i think behr water seal is the best just my opinion but don't know how long it will last in salt as if i can get 3 to 5 yrs that would be awesome.I want to put a removable floor and put a few mods in the front to hold coolers in place and a little storage as there is only so much room.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Moding my 2010 lowe 1436 jon boat/how long will wood last

you might get more response from the Boat Restoration and Building forum

Good luck with the project

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Spar varnish will last longer if applied in multiple coats.

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer

were do i get it at home depot or lowes?How many coats would u suggest?Also has that been proven to work in salt water applications and will carpet glue stick to it?

bugzy_1

Seaman Apprentice

You can get Marine Spar Varnish at H.D. You should seal with a thinned coat then at least 2 finish coats, sanding with 220 grit between coats. If you recoat when it starts to wear it will last a long time.