Ignition coil(s)

ropechoker

Recruit
I just aquired a 78 model Johnson 85 V4 Seahorse and there are two coils(left side) that are the old style (a coil within a lamanated mount), the other side has the newer two post version (582508). My question is this a acceptable change or should they be the same (output difference)???? It seems to run OK except after getting up on plane it loses power, I can squeeze the bulb and it will momenterly speed up. I assumed that this is probably high speed jets clogged and have the rebuild kits ordered, our host is out of this model kit so went elsewhere.

There is no tach installed so have no idea as to RPM.What about those wrap on kind that have a digital LED display? TinyTac
I did the decarb process with Seafoam as described in the other thread.Compression checked OK 100+.
It has a 13-3/4x15 prop.
Ordered a impeller,gasket,and key also,the telltale is running forcefully but plan on changeing the pump impeller anyway.
Changed the lower unit gear grease.
Don't have a repair manual but will get one soon.
OH YEAH I am a retired Master Chief USCG but not a "snipe" just the driver so not to knowledgeable as to propulsion

Appreciate you guys advise and expertise.

D

DJ

Re: Ignition coil(s)

Pumping the primer and improving performance proves it's NOT a spark issue.