Resin Questin

dmc602

Cadet
Ok guys here is the question. If restin weights 9.37 or app 150 0z per lbs per gal does anyone know what it will weight dry? I know that most things that are wet are heaver than dry.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Resin Questin

The curing isn't what changes the weight, any change in weight is from it being open to the air, small amounts of styrene and other volatiles can escape during this time. In closed mold processes the resin doesn't really come into contact with air, so only very small amounts may evaporate. In spray applications you may loose several % in weight as the resin is atomized and the styrene flashes off.

Epoxy would be similar and the amount of weight change would still be dependent on the solvent escaping, which is normally added at a lower %.

Why the question?

dmc602

Cadet
Re: Resin Questin

The curing isn't what changes the weight, any change in weight is from it being open to the air, small amounts of styrene and other volatiles can escape during this time. In closed mold processes the resin doesn't really come into contact with air, so only very small amounts may evaporate. In spray applications you may loose several % in weight as the resin is atomized and the styrene flashes off.

Epoxy would be similar and the amount of weight change would still be dependent on the solvent escaping, which is normally added at a lower %.

Why the question?

I was trying to get a close figure on the weight of the boat I am building. It is polyester resin. I don't guess it will matter I am still having to glass over the wood.