Engine Swap Procedure

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm installing a new engine at a boatyard and I'm trying to spend only 1 hour on the crane while I swap all the remaining parts since I'm charged by the hour.

The engine is stripped and the only remaining items are the one's I cannot access until the engine is out of the boat. My plan for the procedure is this:

Pull old motor out, while it is hanging on the crane I will need to remove:
1. oil pan
2. bellhousing
3. coupler
4. flywheel

Then we will set the motor down on a pallet, hoist the new engine and install:
1. oil pan
2. flywheel
3. coupler
4. bellhousing
5. dampener pulley

Place new engine in boat on mounts and install bolts.

My question is, is there any parts or procedures I am missing in this list for the swap out?

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Engine Swap Procedure

I'm certainly no expert but when I repowered, I spent extra time cleaning up the bilge- and I don't mean simply washing it down. I re-supported some wiring, replaced the blower hoses, changed a bilge pump float, 'ya know- stuff like that. It's also a great time to check the stringers and transom for rot.

You may want to consider paying the crane an hour for take-out and another hour for install. That way you won't be rushed....and possibly miss something important. Just my opinion.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Man I'D say that's cutting it close on time especially when your placing it back in a tight space. If it were me I would have as many bolts lose as possible and a cordless drill with socket adapter ready to preed things up have all the gaskets lubed aand ready and someone with their sh-t together to help you go over the game plan before time to do the job and be on the same page maybe a work list in sight with order of operations one doing one thing and another doing something else. Also have all the tools layed out and organized pay closer attention to theflywheel bell housing and couplerthen the oil pan in that order or there abouts. I think whats gonna get you is the surface prep for the oil pan and gasket installation (should be done upside down) GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

They won't let us clean the bilge in the yard anyway so it's a pita.

cr2k

Captain

Pull the lags out of the stringers and swap mounts while engine is out. This will make things a lot faster when going out and in.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really with I could clean it because it's disgusting, i just don't know how if I can't drain anything and i have no where to dispose of it.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Simple-
Clean the bilge with the plug in, then put an empty spackle bucket (or 2 or 3) under the drain and recover every last drop from the bilge. Rinse and repeat until it sparkles! Snap the lids on and you're done.
Take the buckets to a dumpster far from the water and pitch 'em in.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Yea have a small crew available while your swappng parts do the deed mean green, purple power, soapy water and recovery buckets and pails pleanty of clean towels and rags to wipe it out and have it ready for you when components are swapped.