Yamaha 20hp impeller replacement help!

parrisw

Ensign
Trying to do a impeller for a friend on his 20hp its a 20LF on the tag, now how to I disconnect the shift rod? I see just above the lower housing there is a double nut on the shift rod, do you undo it there? There is also a small rod that goes from there to what looks like the tilt lock for when put into reverse.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 20hp impeller replacement help!

hold the barrel nut,loosen the locknut,unthread the barrel nut upwards, DO not pull the lower shift shaft loose from the gearcase.

parrisw

Ensign

hold the barrel nut,loosen the locknut,unthread the barrel nut upwards, DO not pull the lower shift shaft loose from the gearcase.

Thanks I've been trying that, but it gets to a spot and just stops! I guess its got some corrosion, I'll keep trying.

Thanks

parrisw

Ensign

Ok, I got it out, but the dang barrel nut was so tight on the threads, that when I turned it it poped the top of the linkage out of the hole it sits in, its a right angle bend that fits into a plastic linkage, and I'll be damned that I can get it back in. One of the bolts that holds the linkage to the case is seized. Everything is fighting me on this thing. I took the carbs off to get better acess, and actually there is a bolt sitting in the reed block!