lower unit using a lot of gear oil??

gkhuffman

Recruit
I bought a 2000 Sea Ray 185 with a 4.3 mercruiser and an alpha 1 outdrive two weeks ago. When i took it out the first time i noticed that the gear oil in the reservoir was at the fill line so i filled it back up to the full line. Yesterday while getting ready to take it out for the second time i noticed that the oil reservoir was almost empty. I filled it back up and after running for about 2 hours it had dropped back down to the fill line. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this and what steps to take? there may already be a post for this, if so you can point me in that direction.

thanks in advance for your help.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: lower unit using a lot of gear oil??

Can anyone tell me what might be causing this

It's leaking.

what steps to take?

Fix the leak.

;)

Seriously - it is leaking. You will have to look around for the leak -- see any puddles of gear oil in the bilge or on your driveway? The best step is to remove the outdrive and see if there is gear oil in the bellows area. You can also have the outdrive pressure tested to see where it is leaking.

gkhuffman

Recruit

i looked around for evidence of the leak. there were no puddles in the driveway and didn't seem to be any in the bilge.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Time then to pull the drive and see if it is leaking into the bellows from the upper seal.